Increasing vocabulary age 3 to 5
Between ages 3 to 5 a preschooler can go from knowing 900 words to 2,500 to 3,000 words.
Here are some ways to help build your child's vocabulary:
- Instead of baby talk, try more grown-up explanations
- Try having conversations and give your child time to express himself
- Make time to play imaginative games with your child to stimulate his mind
Most kids are ready to read by age 6
Reading with your child can speed their learning. By reading together, your child learns:
- Specific words make specific sounds
- Words are made of letters
- The words on the page are related to the pictures
- Facts about their favorite things
Like any skill, reading is something children learn at their own pace. Making reading fun and stress-free will help your child develop a love of books.