By age 4 your child should be able to brush her teeth on her own, although supervision is still recommended.
It is also recommended that you:
- Use fluoride-free toothpaste until your child is able to spit into the sink
- Switch to a pea-size amount of fluoridated toothpaste when your child is ready
- Help your child floss at around age 4, or whenever his back molars are touching
Between the ages of 5 and 7, adult teeth begin to come in
The general rule is that the earlier your child's teeth come in, the sooner they fall out. If teething began early, the first tooth or two could be lost before kindergarten.
A few tips to keep in mind:
- It's okay to wiggle a loose tooth with their tongue, but they should never pull at it (or tie a string around it)
- Have your child bite down on gauze or a clean washcloth to stop any bleeding as soon as the tooth comes out and place the tooth in a plastic bag for safekeeping